I prefer to set goals rather than the traditional resolutions because I am constantly striving to improve. I am a goal oriented person and set daily goals for myself.
The year 2014 was full of 1st’s for me:
- Resigned my position with the local school board after 23 years of service.
- Prioritized my family over work.
- Became more involved with my grandchildren.
- Started the ‘Laura’s Journey’ Facebook page to encourage, inspire and empower others.
- Started http://www.laurasjourneyofhope.com as a blog.
- 6 year breast cancer survivor as of 12-26-14
2015 will hold many more firsts...some I don’t even know about. My goal, not resolution, is very basic. My goal is to be healthy: body, mind and soul.
Body…I have been eating clean since July 1, 2014. I have room for improvement in this area. I am walking my first 5K, Race For A Cure, this month. I hope to walk many 5K’s for different causes in 2015. This time, I walk for all who are fighting breast cancer. I walk to celebrate all survivors and to remember those who lost their battle to this horrible disease. It will be the first time that I will be recognized as a survivor.
Mind…I want to continue to fill my life with positive influences and have the courage to leave the negative influences behind. The words you speak over your life are very telling. When my girls were little, I would speak into them positive statements..
- when you go to college…not if you go to college
- when you get a car…not if you get a car
- God has your plan…don’t worry
- also, you could be president if you wanted to…
The world was open to them.
Soul…For me, this is my most important area. I want to spend more time in my devotions seeking God’s direction. I want peaceful relationships with those in my inner circle. Finally after 3 years, I am making progress toward peace with my dad’s death. I was going to go see him on Saturday but he died on Monday. I missed my opportunity. (This also comes under ‘mind’) For me, my soul still aches from that decision but I know he is in heaven.
Take pride in how far you’ve come and have faith in how far you can go. In all of life’s craziness, remember to enjoy the journey.
I invite you to follow me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/laurasjourneyofhope.com.
Happy New Year!