My last Taxol/Herceptin chemo was May 5, 2009. I was going to the chemo lab for weekly Herceptin infusions but at least I could drive myself and schedule those after work. I had three weeks to regain my strength before Kelsey’s graduation week.
The week of May 25th was very busy:
- Tuesday, May 26th – Baccalaureate Service
- Wednesday, May 27th – Cheri, sister-in-law, arrived from New Mexico
- Thursday, May 28th – Senior Awards
- Friday, May 29th – Graduation
- Sunday, May 31st – Kelsey’s Graduation Party
At the Senior Awards, Kelsey received multiple honors:
- Polk Education Foundation Scholarship
- National Honor Society Achievement Award
- Certificate of Academic Excellence from the Science Department
- The American Legion Award
WOW! We were all very surprised. The Science Award was a unanimous vote by all of the teachers in the Science department which was a major accomplishment. Also, she was chosen for the American Legion Award because she possessed high qualities of courage, honor, leadership, patriotism, scholarship and service. She was having a great culmination to her senior year. She was on her way to the college of her dreams: The University of Florida. We were so very proud of her and happy for her.
On Sunday afternoon, friends and family gathered at our house to celebrate Kelsey. Friends, former teachers and family cam from near and far. She was overwhelmed by the show of support. the house was full of friends, family, laughter and support. It had been a long time since we had anyone over. the party would not have been a success without help from my sister-in-law, Cheri. She is the ultimate party planner and she worked her magic to make it a special day for all of us.
Now the focus would turn to my surgery, which was scheduled for Wednesday, June 3, 2009.
I invite you to follow me on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/laurasjourneyofhope